Well hello! I’ve been gone for a while, life and work has got in the way so the very word “spare time” has been extremely rare. Somehow weeks turns into months, and months turns into years – which I hadn’t realised! In that time I got a new job, refurbished our house (mostly DIY), and my children have grown a few years: my not-so-littlest has started school, and my eldest is selecting a secondary school for next year. Yikes.
I’ve still been making things to eat for my lively allergic ones, and lately Mr Normal has been doing it more so, but documenting it is another thing. So let’s kick off with something simple shall we? But absolutely no less delicious….
45 grams butter
300 grams mini marshmallows, plus some extra for decoration
180 grams rice krispies
50g Free From Chocolate
- Melt the butter in a large, heavy-based saucepan over a low heat.
- Add the marshmallows and cook gently until they are completely melted and blended, stirring constantly.
- Take the pan off the heat and immediately add the cereal, mixing lightly until well coated.
- Press the mixture into a greased 32cm x 23cm tin / 13 x 9 inch pan; you may have to put on vinyl CSI gloves and press it down into the corners, as it will be very sticky. Flatten the top and then scatter over the edible glitter or sprinkles, if so inclined.
- Let the marshmallow crispy squares cool completely in the tin and then cut them into 24 squares.
- Break chocolate into cubes and place into a small heatproof bowl. Set over a pan of simmering water (do not allow the base to touch the water) and stir occasionally until melted.
- Drizzle the melted chocolate over the krispie cake and add marshmallows. Leave to set and when cooled, cut into 12 pieces.